Sunday, March 2, 2014

First weekend of March is very active

March 1, 2014. I was going to meet a friend who wants to get back on track with being active. They ended up not meeting me Saturday morning. I opted to take a different route instead of doing laps at Spring Forest Park. I hit spring forest road and turned right on Capital. I love walking around my neighborhood especially when there are sidewalks. I can tell you exactly where there are none. There is a sidewalk that ends right in front of NTB. I discovered this in 2012 when i was training for City of Oaks. When there is no sidewalk, you are forced to walk on the grass. I continue on Capital until I get to Old Wake Forest Road/Fox Road. Of course I am smelling breakfast from Mickey D's. Good thing i didn't have any cash. Then again I would still have to walk home afterwards. I also notice the K-Mart has store closing signs posted. I noticed earlier in the week someone standing on a corner holding a similar sign. Sad that another store bites the dust. This particular K-Mart i remember well as i found it in 1998 when i first moved to Raleigh and bought a 19' tv from them. I remember carrying it up the 3 flights to my 3rd floor apartment. Well i've digressed enough.
I head up fox and pass triangle towne center. I cross triangle towne blvd and head towards Poyner Place. The road that leads besides Super Target is a straight incline. I take it slow and steady. I turn right on Fox road and i think home is almost there. There is small length of sidewalk on Fox and then it ends. It's a 2 lane road. I stick to the grass. Can you believe some asshole honked at me like i was in the road?? Trust me i was not. I make it to the corner of Spring Forest and Fox. I'm thinking there needs to be a crosswalk here because trying to cross that intersection is really playing with your life. I walk down Spring Forest across the entrance to my subdivision which is much more SAFER to cross. I check RunKeeper and I'm at 3.85 miles. The goal was 4 miles. I walk and back forth down my street. I'm at 3.95. I walk up and down my driveway to make it up. Can you same DETERMINATION!!! 4 miles is done.

I love supporting local races. I have signed up for St Paddy's RunGreen kilt run. Race starts at 2pm. Since it's downtown, I know to head there EARLY around 12. I must not have been the only who had that same idea. Because traffic was heavy. I was able to get into the parking deck on Blount right across from Marbles, SCORE. I had no idea that deck went to 7 levels. I was on level 5. I run into a few NCRC peeps, Galloway peeps and TIFL peeps. We really do all run in the same places. We line up for the kilt run around 1:30pm. The line was HUMUNGOUS. They are checking kilts, belts and buckles and taking the release form. Then we line up in the starting corral. People are still coming in. I am thinking they have a good chance of beating the record. I heard today they had 1455 kilts runners short of the record of 1700. Race starts about 2:15. It's 200 meters which is 2 turns around Moore Square and we're done. People are running like they have $$ on this race. I take my time as it just 2 blocks. We make the final turn towards the finish line and i love my time it's about 3 minutes. I shall call it a PR :-)

March 2, 2014 Sundays are swim days with TIFL. Today is a brick day. Today's brick is swim/bike. I am the new proud owner of a bike. I was very excited to get out and ride today. In my haste yesterday at the bike shop i forgot to buy a lock. I'm nervous about leaving it unlocked while we're swimming. I bring it inside TAC. I'm told by the mentors to leave it in the locker room. Swimming was another great workout. My favorite drill is 3 strokes and come up on 1 side for air. LOVE it! 3pm shows up fast. We are out of the pool. Changing clothes and headed out for a bike. I am a straight up bag lady because i have napsack that i plan on riding with, backpack with change of clothes. Friend of mine is not riding, i get her to watch my bike. I make a quick drop off the bags at the car. Then get all i need for the bike ride and head back over. I get on my bike and oh my goodness it feels totally different than it did yesterday. I get on and start pedaling. I need to wait on the next group. I'm told to go in a circle. I don't really see that happeing so i ride around the entire parking lot and then come back. I crack myself. Our group takes off, there's a path that runs the side of TAC and into a neighborhood. That's downhill mind you. the bike takes off so fast i'm hitting the brakes like crazy. We head out into the neighborhood. the flat roads are great. then we hit a hill and we're told to move into the low gears. i'm still learning my gears and i'm in the high gear and end up walking my bike up the hill. once we get to the top i  hop back on and get my gears right. i'm feeling soreness and pain i have never felt in my life. we continue through the neighborhood. more hills. this time they are much more easier to handle. they are still rough. we head back to the beginning and it's downhill i am FLYING. i'm going so fast it's scaring the H-E-double hockey sticks out of me. We make it back to the entrance to the path. wouldn't you know it's uphill. I opt to walk my bike up to flat ground. Then I get back on and pedal to the starting point and see the rest of TIFL. I think to myself I SURVIVED and why is my car parked so far away and what's for dinner because I'm STARVING like marvin.

No comments:

Post a Comment