Saturday, March 29, 2014

Soak to the bone

Soaked to the bone wet

Saturdays represent Galloway training runs. I kept am eye on the forecast and it keep calling for rain. I don't like to run in rain. Myrtle was my first experience of running in cold, wind and rain. The worst weather you can ever imagine to do a race in. I laid my gear out the night before. It truly makes a difference when you are up in the morning and looking like a chicken with its head chopped off trying to find your gear. When the alarm clock went of at 6, I hit the snooze button twice. I finally dragged out of bed. I was not feeling like doing anything. I got on up and dressed and noticed my left eye was puffy like pink eye. I think it was because I was tired. I go through my pre-run routine and get my fuel ready, peanut nutter and bagel. I can hear the rain. I'm even thinking why am I up? It's a mental game. I was really trying to talk myself out of it. I got up and got ready. I knew I needed to get the workout in since rock n roll is in 2 weeks. I needed to take my new camelbak our for a test drive. I put on my city of oaks hat and rain jacket and headed out to meet my fellow Galloway peeps. We were meeting at the new fleet feet location I'm north Raleigh off six forks. As I get closer to the store, I see other crazies running to the store. As I pull into the parking lot I see a friendly face, Cheryl who I knew from Fit-Tastic. I tuck my keys and phone in my camelback and head to the store where most folks are inside staying dry until the start. I see one of the pace leaders with a ziploc bag and I remember I was going to put my phone in one and totally forgot. I go up to the cash register and ask the fleet feet cashier is they have ziploc bag. She goes and checks, no bag but she gives me a trash bag which wrap my phone in like a precise meat at the butchers counter. Thanks Fleet Feet lady who's name I don't remember.

7:30 is here and we roll out my pace groups. My group is the honey badgers. We run 14-15 minute mile. I should say that's the goal but I've never gotten that fast. It's coming. We are small in #. I think where 1 or 2 are gathered. That's the PK coming out. We start out our on 8 mile journey. It's raining but the temp is in the 60s which is very bearable. Our group breaks out in men who are doing 30/30 intervals and us girls who are just out here to move and we make a mutual decision to just walk. I'm thinking the race jacket was a good choice until a about a mile 1.  I'm sweating like a hot yoga class. We go up and down the hills on six forks road. I'm starting to feel the hills. You should know that me and hills are not friends. We hit the greenway on Longstreet and I'm starting to start to feel real sluggish and tired and ready to be done with this foolishness that is running. We met the male honey badgers after we cross the 2nd bridge. I decide to turn back with them, they continue with their 30/30 and I confine to put one foot in front of the other. I have just passed sawmill drive. There is a puddle that looks like lake Crabtree. I walk around it I'm the grass and wouldn't you know it my left food goes right into a hole. The entire foot is submerged and completely wet. I be damn it must be time for me to get the H-E-double hockey sticks out this weather. A few of the fast pace groups pass me and yell out "good job Johanna". One lady smacks me on my back. I thought that was hilarious. I make it to six forks and it's up hill to 1 get about a mile from colonnade drive and it flattens out. I'm so excited when I can see the intersection. I wait patiently and cross over and I hobble over to my car and sir and recoup for a minute. I know there is a dry shirt waiting for me and panera with my fellow Galloway peeps. The Garmin read 4.58 miles. I'll take it. Tomorrow is TIFL brick of swimming & running. Lord give me strength.

No comments:

Post a Comment