Monday, April 7, 2014

Longest swim + hillest bike ride

Good morning Monday! It's taken me some time to recuperate before I blogged about yesterday's brick. For the first time during this TRI journey. I went to church in addition to the training. This running around is really for the birds. I make it 10:30am worship service. Then i have a PPR meeting from 12:30pm-1:30pm which I run out of at 1pm because i need to eat something before 2pm poolside. I run over to Cary, pick up a quick bite, sit in the car and meditate for a few minutes before it's time to get ready for the swim.

At this point, we are literally 6 weeks from Ramblin Rose and 3 weeks from the mock tri. We are at crunch time. Then it literally hit my like a ton of bricks that this will be my last Sunday training before the mock TRI. April 13 is rock n roll. I will probably be sleep or on the couch recovering next sunday around 2pm. I have weekend rotation Eater weekend. Then the mock TRI is April 27. That's life

Let me get back to the brick. Yesterday's brick was swim & bike. Little did we (TIFL athletes) realize that we would also be running after we came back from the bike ride. I'll get to that in a few :-)

We line up in the lanes, beginner, intermediate and advance. Some of my fellow athletes tell me "go on over there, you know you not a beginner" pointing to the intermediate lane. That still cracks me up. We go through our 100 yard drills which turned out being about 400 yards total. Then we are out of the pool. We are going to do 4 lanes of laps. A lap is down for 25 yards and back for 25 yards. We do 4 lanes of laps. In case I have completely lost you, this means we swam for 200 yards. Yes that comes to a total of 600 yards at this point. Who's keeping count? I'm not lol. The mentors are on both ends of the pool cheering us on. I'm on the last lane and i hear my partner in crime Julie yell out "Jo you got this" A little cheering on goes a long way. I take off down for the last lane. I get to the end and a mentor yells out "You only have 25 yards to go"  You just don't know how good it is to hear that. 4 lanes done, 200 yards done. I'm out the pool and my heart is BEATING out my chest, my hands are shaking. No flashes of my life comes across so i'm still alive. Then Trish TIFL mentor yells out "anyone want to go for a 2nd round" what i was thinking is probably not allowed on blogger. I opt to not do a 2nd loop. A mentor comes up to me and mentions how fast my push off is and that i should glide through a lane instead of stroking because I am moving much faster. Another tip I will keep for RR.

Now it's time for the real fun, changing out of sweat swim clothes to dry biking clothes. This is the TRI life. This time I brought the biking shorts. They slide on very easy. As soon as I get dressed, wouldn't you know i have to go potty. The bladder of a baby I tell you. I'm walking out with someone who i can't remember right now. It's Sharon Johnson :-) I just remembered. We talk about how this this workout #2 walking the steps up from the locker room to the 2nd floor. I get bike ready.

As we break out into the bike levels. I line up with the intermediate group because i am no way fast. I do like to bike ride. We are told we are going to do 4.8 mile bike ride. I'm thinking that's cool. We did that on Thursday. We hit hills that my thighs are not familiar with. We go through neighborhoods i am unfamiliar with and we hit one hill that i just say FU and walk it. I look up and Jane Waltz is walking it as well. There is no shame in walking your bike up a hill. No there is not. Once I get to flat ground I get back on the back. Snap, crackle and pop goes a muscle. I'm really starting to rethink this whole TRI stuff at this point. We keep on biking, more hills. TIFL mentor Martha is riding with me. She asked me "did you ride up that hill" I nod because at this point speaking requires too much energy. She's more excited than i am that i took down another hill. We run into some more TIFL folks who have made a wrong turn. As we contiune on our ride we wonder where they are. We finally hit the route i am familiar with. We pass that cool as a fan blue corvette. That car is caliente HOT. We get down the hill and turn back towards TAC. As we head back to the picnic tables, i see Julie running but everyone else is done. I guess that means i missed out on the running. I'm all torn up inside lol. Another TIFL brick is done. 200 yard swim (only 50 more yards for the race) + 4.8 mile bike ride. My ASS yes i said ass because that is what it is. I can clean it up my bum is hurting (foam roller i'm coming for you when i get off work). Every time I stand up from my chair i have to brace myself because the butt muscle talks back to me and soon as i prepare to walk away from my chair the muscle decides to do a cha cha. Lord give me strength to make it through this day.

No comments:

Post a Comment