Thursday, April 10, 2014

The longest bike ride so far

For for first time on Thursday I actually drove to the bike ride from home. Because I was coming from a different direction, I took lumley road off 540 and then it hit me I should have take aviaton *Smacks head*

I get to our meeting place about 6:05pm and I see 1 of my buds Lillie already there. Few more tifl athletes show up. Few mentors show up as well. 1 of my fav mentor is the lead tonight, Helen aka Claudia, yeah she's in a witness protection plan because she has multiple aliases she uses. She has brought me a shirt from CRW(Capital Run Walk). They are giving away shirts. How cool is that :-)

We gather round for our route for the night. We are small in #. What's the saying where 2 or more are gathered. That's the PK coming out. 7 athletes and 2 mentors. 6 mile bike ride. I'm rolling with my padded bike shorts tonight. The left leg rides up and I'm showing generous amount of thigh. :-(

All the ladies know that if I am behind you going down a hill I will be "on your left" very soon. I love downhill. It's just me and the wind. "I believe I can fly" oh yeah I really do. What goes down must come back up. I told TIFL mentor Brittany I refuse to walk up the hill on Globe. It's a personal thing. I must ride it no matter how long it takes me. You know what that hill went down again. BOOM!!!  Did I mention that Jane showed up after we took off. I love Jane. She's awesome sauce.

I'm feeling all kinds of discomfort on the bike ride. I don't know if it's the shorts or Aunt Flo but I'm in serious pain. I'm ready for the ride to be done so I can make some readjustments. We make it back to the parking lot. RunKeeper reads 5.8 miles. I yell out "I have to make 6 miles" and keep riding through the parking lot. I hit 6.04 miles and drop the bike and get the iPhone and walk around the parking lot with Julie and Lillie. Shoutout to Julie Reed who made her first Thursday bike ride with the group. Yeah!!!

In 3 days I have my next fun filled adventure, the inaugural Raleigh Rock'N Roll half marathon. I have not been feeling excited about this race. I'm really trying to not worry about the course time limit that they so nicely emailed me about the other day. All I could think was diva NMB and the sag van. Then there's the biggest loser Charlotte casting on Saturday that I won a front of the line spot for in a Facebook contest. I don't feel like driving back and forth the day before RNR. Can u say stressed? I can.

It just dawned on me that I only need 3 more miles and I will be at ramblin rose bike distance, woo hoo baby :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment